“holidays were made for reading and remembering the things that are worth repeating” — Sarah Harmer
There’s nothing like reading book while soaking in the vitamin D in the summertime. I also did a bit of travelling this summer which meant I always needed a book on hand. I’m just realizing now that I read a lot of thrillers / murder mysteries lately so I think the next book I read will have to be on the lighter side. In the meantime, I thought I’d round-up my recent reads since I recommend all of them (if you’re into this genre!).
1. I’ll be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara – I’m a huge fan of the My Favorite Murder podcast and they talked about this book and I was immediately intrigued. It was pretty gruesome and horrifying but very well written and again, I couldn’t put it down. If you’re into murder mysteries and true crime, you should read this!
2. The Alice Network by Kate Quinn – my mom recommended this one to me and it was so good! A great piece of feminist historical fiction that follows the stories of two women during WWI and WWII.
3. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – Of course, I loved Gone Girl and I knew this would be a good book. Plus, I’m so excited to start watching the TV series. Again, a quick read with some clever (very clever) plot twists!
4. Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell – I picked this up for a train ride home from Toronto and it was such a quick read that you can’t put down. Even though I thought I had it all figured out, it all ties in nicely with some surprising twists.
5. A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell – I admit, I had seen the trailer for the movie a few times but had no idea it was based on a book until I saw it in the bookstore. I picked it up for yet another train ride home from Toronto and it was the fastest trip ever because I just could not stop reading. It is bizarre – that is for sure (I had to second guess whether I was reading certain parts correctly), but so, so good! I saw the movie last weekend and it was really well done, albeit, quite a bit different from the book.